Russell Lea

local_russelleaThe Russell Lea locality took its name from the 60 acre estate of Russell Barton. His imposing mansion and quiet rural estate was on the North side of Lyons Road, near Sibbick Street.

A pamphlet advertising an auction sale of the first subdivision in 1913 showed ‘Russell Lea Estate – Between Two Trams. (The Five Dock-Abbotsford tram and the Drummoyne Tram). The allotments were up for sale with 10% deposit, balance in 36 monthly instalments with interest at 6%.

Russell Lea today is a sleepy suburb very popular with young families as it is so close to Drummoyne and Five Dock shopping centres. Russell Lea has an area of 101.3 hectares.