Gladesville

local_gladesvilleThis was originally known as Doody’s after John Doody, a convict artist, who had been given 30 acres here but named after John Glade, who arrived in 1791 to begin a sentence of seven years.

The name Gladesville was first used in 1856 after a Sydney lawyer, William Whaley Billyard, bought 150 acres of Glade’s grant for 300 pounds, built a wharf and road, and subdivided the village of Gladesville.

Looking Glass Point gets its name from an encounter between Governor Phillip and an armed Aborigine on February 15, 1788. Phillip gave the native a hatchet and a small mirror, who “immediately looked behind the glass to see if any person was there.”

Bedlam Point was originally named Berthelem Point, and was used as a semaphore station to relay messages between Sydney and Parramatta. It was corrupted to Bedlam Point years before the Tarban Creek Asylum was built in 1838.

The first bridge was opened in 1884; the present bridge in 1964.

Gladesville today is a thriving suburb with good schools, shops and restaurants. Incorporating the waterside homes of Henley the area is 155 hectares.