Chiswick

local_chiswickIn 1806 it was part of the area known as York Place and granted to surgeon John Harris for 4,000 pounds though in 1794 it was the site of an unsuccessful attempt to settle ex-marines.

At one stage known as Blackwall, Chiswick was named after the suburb on the Thames when subdivided for homes in the 1880’s and is adjacent to Parramatta River.

In 1885 a leaflet advertising the sale of land reported that “the scenery from this place is, of its kind, unrivalled”.

In the early 1920’s this quiet suburb with just a few houses had just one road with the land covered with native shrubs and flora.

Chiswick Wharf built out from the cliff with steps cut out from solid rock was regularly used by ferries – a ‘gents’ quarterly ticket to Chiswick was 30 shillings. Ferry traffic on the river gradually decreased as people were lured away by improved tram services.

Chiswick today is a tranquil and quiet place with a few local shops and a ferry wharf for city access. Total area is 49.6 hectares.